Monday, December 16, 2013

Rule #32: Enjoy the little things

If any of you have ever seen Zombieland, it's one of my favorites. I needed to get my mind off things yesterday and what better way than to watch a movie about zombies that actually relates to lessons in life.

Rule #32: Enjoy the little things.

This was the last and probably most important rule he made on his list for survival in the zombie apocalyptic world. We all too easily forget to "enjoy the little things" in life. We're so focused on the massive things that seem to control our lives, when really those are probably the least important.

As you can tell, I'm a complete contradiction of emotions right now; one day happy, the next day beat down. But that's life. This morning, I woke up quite early, my thoughts keeping me from sleeping any longer. I laid in bed for about an hour, thinking about life and then all the things I needed to do today, and telling myself it was too early to get up on a day I didn't have to work. Finally after much effort and a little push from my pup who needed to go for a walk, I got out of bed, put on my running gear and told myself that I'm going to start the day clearing my mind.
After about 30 minutes, Oeli wasn't having it any longer, stopped in the middle of the path and waited for me to turn around to take him in. I complied because he looked at me with those "oh-so-cute" eyes of his and a cocked head, summoning me closer to see his cuteness.
How could you not love this adorable face!?

As I got closer, he turned around and started running in the direction of our apartment and so I followed. I followed all the way until he stopped near this old man with two canes walking down the sidewalk. The old man smiled at me, pointed at Oeli with the most sincere eyes and we began a conversation. The sincerity in his words made me hope that I, too, can make someone's day by a simple smile. Rule #32: enjoy the little things. We bid farewell and I walked all the way home with a smile on my face.

Life throws us curve balls, people hurt us, people love us, we can find joy in the big and little things, we can hate life sometimes; but most importantly, we have to believe in ourselves. That is one thing I am struggling with right now, believing in me. It seems when the world pushes us down so far, it's difficult to find the positive within you. We just have to keep holding on, give our problems to God and let life take its course.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are a Must! :)